Sunday, May 30, 2010

6 Month Update....Belated birthday celebrations in April

For my birthday this year, Preston surprised me with a hot air balloon ride. I was so excited and we were scheduled to go two weeks after my birthday. Well Tucson decided to have rainy weather on almost every day we had off together and we had to keep canceling. So with much anticipation we were so excited to go in April and it was well worth the wait. It was so much better then I could have imagined. I thought the ride would be rocky and that the basket would sway all over the place, but it was nothing like it at all. The ride was so smooth and you couldn't even tell you were moving. It was a a beautiful day and you could see all over the city of Tucson.

Our hot air balloon being blow up.

Getting bigger and bigger.


It was an early morning.


The beautiful view over Tucson.

I was so thankful for my awesome birthday gift.

Lake views (man made) and all.

The shadow of our balloon... getting closer to the houses on our descent

As I mentioned above, the whole ride was smooth sailing and pretty uneventful until....we went to land. I didn't know this but there isnt an exact way to steer a balloon. As we are flying a ground crew follows us and helps us to land. I had imagined landing in this large open field of some sort, similar to what we took off in. I sure was surprised as we started to descend in a residential area and seriously came so close to the roof of a house I thought we were going to knock off the antenna. We landed in the middle of a street in a residential area and all of the home owners came out to see what the noise was. They were sure surprised to see a hot air balloon in front of their house. The male passengers had to get out and help walk the balloon to a bigger section of the road so that the balloon could be deflated

It was a great experience and an awesome birthday gift.

No comments: